Dairy Heat Stress Risk Snapshot
Take Home Messages for Successful Heat Stress Management
- Monitoring Systems: If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it.
- Drinking Water: Cattle should never have to wait for access to ample volumes of clean, high quality water.
- Shade & Comfort: Solar radiation and discomfort account for 30% or more of heat stress production losses.
- Air: Wind speed of 5 mph or greater improves fly control and enhances evaporative cooling.
- Evaporative Cooling: Sprinklers or Soakers provide more effective cattle cooling than fans alone. The combination of sprinklers/soakers and fans/air above 5 mph is the most effective way to cool cattle.
- Feed & Nutrition: Strategic balance and delivery of quality feedstuffs and hydration therapy allow cattle to minimize internal heat load and maximize glucose capture for superior performance under stress.